Friday, September 14, 2012

Week three games

With week three of the college football season right around the corner, I sure hope that the third time will be the charm for me in picking the games. After last week's disaster, which by the way was a stellar 4-6, with 29 shameful points; I can't do much worse, right? Only time will tell, so beware if you find yourself on the same side that I'm on.
 
 
Before I get started with the selections, I have a couple of observations that I would like to share with you. First, we found out last week that the Big 10+2, isn't a very good conference this season. So much for those silly division names which are labeled "Leaders" and "Legends." They should be renamed and called "Misfits" and "Degenerates." Second, how stupid does the B1G and the ACC conference look with their so-called division set ups. Can any of you that have an allegiance to another team from a different conference, name every team within those two divisions of the ACC, or the B1G. The ACC has been around for quite some time and I still can't tell you which teams are in the Coastal division, or which teams make up the Atlantic division. Same with the B1G. However, I could care less about the Pac-12; nevertheless, I can name (with ease I might add), every team in the North division and every team in the South division. Now that's what I call "fan friendly," as opposed to that propaganda that the B1G and the ACC have tried to unleash on the average college fan. Just something to think about. Let's move on to the cartoon part of the show, the picks.
 
 
California @ Ohio State (10) - When the California plane flies over the state of Wisconsin, do you think Jeff Tedford will throw a life-line down to Aaron Rodgers? That would probably be the only situation that would help the Bears over the Buckeyes. Meanwhile, with USC up after this loss to the Buckeyes, Tedford needs to give Samsonite a call for some extra luggage containers to help facilitate his upcoming transfer out of Berkeley. Ohio State over Cal, 38-17.
 
 
Texas (9) @ Mississippi - Three things that Oxford likes to tout, it's the burial place for William Faulkner, John Grisham graduated from Ole Miss and the tailgating in the Grove is the ultimate experience. I can testify to the latter, having been to a couple of games there. Ole Miss fans will tell you, "we might lose the game, but we have never lost the party." As for this game, the Rebels are a very bad team. So don't let the 2-0 record fool you. They might hang with Texas for a quarter or two; but, down the stretch, look for the Longhorns to trash the Rebels, 31-14.
 
 
Alabama (8) @ Arkansas - "With or Without You," a song made famous by U2 off of their best selling album, The Joshua Tree, will be the theme for Alabama this weekend. We don't care if Tyler Wilson plays or not, the result will be the same. By the way, did any of you see the goofy look that the head coach of Arkansas (John L Williams) had on his face as he realized that his team had just lost to ULM? Some things never change, I swear that was the same look he had on his face when he was coaching Michigan State and Ohio State blocked a field goal attempt on the last play of the half to cut the lead to 17-14. They eventually lost the game to the Buckeyes. Remember the sideline reporter asking ole John L about that play and his remark was "That's a dang coaching mistake...the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up!." Taking the Tide over the Three Little Piggies, 34-13.
 
 
Southern Cal (7) @ Stanford - The only team that Matt Barkley hasn't beaten in the Pac-12 is Stanford. Some of the ESPN know-it-alls have been chirping all week that this could be an upset, to which I say BS. I guess that if they keep crying wolf, eventually the wolf will make an appearance; he's just not likely to show up at the Farm this Saturday. Taking the War Horses over the Tree, 37-24.
 
 
BYU (6) @ Utah - Neither of these teams have played outside of the state of Utah. This is the first road test for BYU. Utah just lost their starting QB this past week. Nevertheless, you might want to be careful when placing the point value on this game. I probably have it too high. Oh well, it is what it is. Cougars over the Utes, 29-24.
 
 
Notre Dame @ Michigan State (5) - Three weeks into the season and this is our first time to see the stinking Irish on the slate. Well, zippity doo dah. I could care less. I hope Sparty eats a 55 gallon drum full of Irish Stew and then comes back for a refill. Michigan State over the golden domer goober gobbers, 28-17.
 
 
Arizona State (4) @ Missouri - Has Jeff Sagarin lost his mind? He has Arizona State ranked third in his college football ratings. Three? Are you kidding me? To me, they are not even third within the Pac-12. They barely slide into the number three slot within their own division. Considering Missouri's struggles down the stretch last week, I guess I'll have a sip of whatever Jeff Sagarin has been drinking. Here's to hoping that the Sun Devils stick a pitchfork into the back side of the Tigers, say 31-27.
 
 
North Carolina @ Louisville (3) - The knowledge is pretty thin on this match up, and I didn't bother to do any research. Taking the Cardinals over the Sheep, but only because they are at home, 27-24.
 
 
Florida @ Tennessee (2) - After hearing that some moron Vol player say that they are going to beat Florida this week, I nearly changed my pick. I don't think that I would come out and boast that I was going to beat someone which has beaten me for the last seven years. We get it, eventually Tennessee will beat Florida. Meanwhile, in the words of Ron White, "You can't fix stupid," when it comes to the intelligence level of some of these players and their asinine remarks. With Tennessee's ability to go long on offense with Tyler Bray at the stick, and the fact that Florida survived a tough road test last week, give me the Vols over the Gators, 23-20.
 
 
Navy @ Penn State (1) - I think that everybody has had enough of Penn State. ESPN needs to give the Nittany Lions a few weeks off from the Pick'em contest. I know that I'm tired of seeing them. Plus, if they lose this game, I only see one or two more games on their slate that they might win. Talk about a bad year getting worse. Penn State scores three touchdowns (they miss all three extra points) and barely survive the Midshipmen, 18-17.
 
 
As of this post, mum is the word coming out of Fayetteville concerning Tyler Wilson's status against Alabama. Good luck to everyone with the upcoming week of games. As usual, you better tread very carefully, especially since I'm having a very bad season. Enjoy the weekend, and Roll Tide.
Jljmbaker

No comments:

Post a Comment