Friday, October 26, 2012

Week nine picks


Looks like everybody had a great week in the pick'em contest last week.  As usual, I managed to find one loser in the bunch.  It only cost me one point; but, as usual, no perfection for me.  How the heck did over 22,000 people have a perfect week?  Oh well, in the words of Phil Collins, "I missed again." 



Not much to talk about concerning last week's games since just about everything went according to plan.  You can't turn on a sports talk radio show without hearing all the mess concerning the BCS.  To everyone with a pulse, give it time, just about everything will sort itself out.  And, if it goes according to my plan, three more teams will fall from the ranks of the unbeatens, come Sunday morning.  More on that later.



As for the ridiculous from last week, two situations come to my attention.  First, how about Lane Kiffen have one of his players switch his jersey number, in an attempt to cause a little deception against lowly Colorado.  Why?  In my opinion, he tried this little tactic to see if he could get away with it successfully, in the hopes that he might get away with it when it counted against a real contender, like say, Oregon.  Who knows what the heck Lane Kiffen was trying to accomplish.  To me, it's just Lane Kiffen being Lane Kiffen, he can't help it.  Turns out ole Al Davis had this cartoon character nailed to the post when he called him a liar and a master of deceit.



Second, how about the Wyoming head coach and his rant against the head coach of the Air Force Academy.  I realize that this occurred two weeks ago; nevertheless, it went viral this past week.  I will not post the link because of the "F" word being used so many times.  Apparently, Dave Christensen (Wyoming's head coach), accused Troy Calhoun (Air Force's head coach) of being unethical by having one of his player's fake an injury in the latter stages of the game.  I see where the NCAA fined him $50,000 and suspended him for one game.  He should have been suspended for the rest of the season.  Hopefully, Wyoming will fire his sorry butt after this season. 



And, finally; can't begin the slate of games without first mentioning the news that the Honey Badger and Jordan Jefferson, along with two other ex-LSU football players, were busted for possession of marijuana, last night.  Stop the press, I'm shocked.  Seriously, does this situation come as a surprise to anybody.  So much for coming back to school in hopes of playing anymore for Honey Badger.  And, for the funny part of this story; it was Jordan Jefferson who barged his way through a security gate, which drew a phone call to the police by one of the occupant's of the apartment complex.  Guess he wanted to make sure that he got in on his share of the stash.  Oh well, time to get serious and dish out some comedy relief for everyone's entertainment.  Enjoy.



Notre Dame @ Oklahoma (10) - Two things that I want to happen with the outcome of this game.  First, for the luck of the Irish to run out; and second, and more importantly, for Lou Holtz to shut the heck up.  I'm sick an tired of seeing and hearing this piece of crap spew his knowledge about Notre Dame football.  If Oklahoma plays like Oklahoma should, then the Sooners will enjoy a victory over the stinking Irish.  Yes, I know that the Dame holds a 9-1 advantage over Oklahoma, so what; taking the Sooners and hoping that they knock the gold off of those goobers helmets, 33-17.



Southern California (9) @ Arizona - Lane Kiffen, nough said.  Here's another pecker head that I can't stand.  Hopefully, ESPN will have the USC/Oregon game for us to pick on next week.  If so, I'll be hanging "10" on the Ducks, in honor of my hatred for Mr. Liar, Lane Kiffen.  As for this week, I can't justify any reason to pick against him, not when Rich Rod is on the other side of the field.  Look for the Trojans to grind down the Wildcats, 45-23.



Michigan State @ Wisconsin (8) - The leading candidate for most disappointing season in the B1G, has to be Michigan State.  At 4-4, Sparty appears to be going downhill at the speed of sound.  Meanwhile, Wisconsin appears to have righted the ship.  Now that I have put "8" on Whisky, they will probably lose and force me to drink plenty of whisky, to morn my ignorance (plenty of more to follow, just wait).  I better drive up to Lynchburg and buy a barrel in preparation of said ignorance.  As for the game at hand, look for the Badgers to continue their winning trend by pounding Sparty, 27-13.



Oregon State (7) @ Washington - The pick here on the Beavers is due to the lack of QB play by the Huskies.  That, and I'm hoping that Oregon State and Oregon continue to win until the Civil War game is played.  My biggest concern for this game hinges on how effective Oregon State's first string QB will actually be.  This will be his first start since his knee surgery, and he could be a little rusty.  I counting on the rust to be a thin layer, and if it is, the Huskies are in trouble.  Oregon State over Washington, 27-17.



Iowa @ Northwestern (6) - Wow, the hits just keep on coming.  How about a big thank you to the Noobs At ESPN, for giving us four, count them, four B1G games for us to ponder.  I can't pick Iowa, not after that stellar game they had against Penn State.  I don't like Northwestern, either.  I just hate Iowa that much.  Wildcats over the Hawkeyes, 31-21.



Michigan (5) @ Nebraska - There is no method to the madness in trying to handicap this game.  Why bother?  Okay, I wont bore you with any details, only to say that one team doesn't have any offense of late, while the other team can't stop a cold because the defense looks like a block of Swiss cheese, with all of the holes that are in it.  So, I'll take the team that has shown a little defense, as of late; Michigan over Nebraska, 27-21.



Florida vs Georgia (4) @ Jacksonville - Everybody with the exception of Jljmbaker, is picking Florida.  No one is giving Georgia a chance.  So why am I high on the Dogs?  Georgia has talent that is equal to, and in some cases, greater than Florida.  But, more importantly, Mark Richt is undefeated against Will Muschamp, and that's good enough for me.  Seriously folks, I know that I'm out on a limb with this pick; nevertheless, the Dawgs find a way to take a chomp out of the Gators, 20-17.




Texas Tech (3) @ Kansas State - K State has lost nine out of its last eleven games to top 25 teams, in Manhattan.  I realize that the majority of those losses were not on Bill Snyder's watch; however, it is a very disturbing trend.  Add that to the fact that all week we have heard Colin Klein is the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy, and Kansas State this, and Kansas State that.  Seems like every time that all of this attention is afforded to an individual or a team, that said individual or team goes out and lays an egg, the next week.  Plus, Tuberville seems to always find a way to win games where he is the prohibited underdog.  Here's another opportunity for the Riverboat Gambler, Red Raiders over the Wildcats, 36-31.



Ohio State @ Penn State (2) - Earlier in the year, I said that Urban Meyer would keep using Braxton Miller to the point of a serious injury occurring.  That situation occurred last week when Miller was knocked out of a game with a concussion.  I see where Miller has been cleared to play, just in time for Meyer to throw him back into a Lion's den and risk further injury.  Meanwhile, Penn State has reeled off five wins in a row, including last week's masterpiece in Iowa City.  That's good enough for me.  Nittany Lions over the Buckeyes, in a close one, 21-20.



BYU (1) @ Georgia Tech - Another meaningless game that the Einsteins at ESPN have given us to wonder about.  Go figure.  Tech is a wreck.  BYU has no offense.  Tech can't stop anybody, and yes I know that they beat Boston College last week, but who hasn't beaten Boston College.  I'll give this one to the Mormons in another close game, 17-16.



Before I go, Happy Halloween to everybody.  Remember, tread at your own risk, there appears to be something very spooky going on here, in regards to these selections.  I just believe that this is the Saturday when there are a few upsets that occur on the Pick'em game.  Just be careful when selecting the games.  Have a great weekend and enjoy the games.  Roll Tide.

Jljmbaker

No comments:

Post a Comment