Friday, October 5, 2012

week six reviews


Nice to see that most everyone enjoyed a highly successful pick'em week, this past weekend. We usually have at least two of these weeks where everything plays out as planned. I managed to go 9-1, with 52 points. Now, before anyone comes back and says that I was 8-2, with 48 points; you would be correct. So why the difference? Every Monday when the slate is released, I go through the list of games and click on the team that I think will win: then, I spend the next three to four days trying to make an argument for why I think that team will win. Last Friday morning, I switched Cincinnati to Virginia Tech and changed the confidence level from two points to four points. Apparently, I forgot to move the check mark from Cincinnati to Virginia Tech; so, lucky me. Now, before I go for broke with these picks for this week, let's take a look at last week.

 
 

With September in the books, let's take a look at coaches on the hot seat in the BCS conferences. In the Pac-12, the leading man without question is Cal's Jeff Tedford. Even though Cal's AD came out and said that Tedford's job was safe after the loss to Arizona State, I'm not buying it. There is no buy-out clause in Tedford's contract, so if he is axed at season's end, Cal would owe him seven million dollars. The only thing that would save Tedford; heck, why go there, he's gone. Also, look for the Colorado coach to receive the pink slip, as well. In the Big-12, I think that we will see everyone back unless Tommy Tuberville is introduced as Arkansas' new coach. Don't laugh, it could happen. Plus, Tuberville is from Arkansas.




In the B1G, I'm still convinced that Kirk Freentz of Iowa, will be gone after this season. Other than him, I think that everyone else is safe. In the ACC, Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech and Frank Spaziani of Boston College, appear to be the front runners to receive the proverbial axe. In the SEC, we all know that John L. Smith is gone; the question is when. If Arkansas is embarrassed at Auburn this weekend, look for John L. Smith to be dismissed. Now, if Auburn loses this game, look for Gene Chizak's seat to receive a little extra warmth. Also, barring a miracle, Derek Dooley of Tennessee, will find himself in the unemployment line, by season's end. As for the Big Least (East), who cares. And, please tell me why this conference is still considered a BCS conference.




As far as surprises from last weekend, outside of Washington's win over Stanford, everything else was pretty much right on schedule. Oh, and before I launch off into stupidity in trying to pick this week's games, the gouging of the eyes of an Ohio State player by a Michigan State player was unbelievable. That Spartan player should be suspended for at least three games; end of story. Well, here goes nothing.

 
 

Georgia Tech @ Clemson (10) - As stated above, Paul Johnson's future at Tech is on very shaky ground. After blowing a 17 point fourth quarter lead to Miami, and last week's loss to Middle Freaking Tennessee State, the Yellow jacket faithful are starting to sting the airwaves on the local sport shows in Atlanta, calling for his dismissal. And now, Tech travels to Clemson; rut roh. In addition, Sammy Watkins will be back this weekend. Rut roh, again. Look for the Tigers to clip the Yellow jackets wings, 41-20.

 
 

Arizona @ Stanford (9) - Rich Rod goes back on the road, and we know what that means. Stanford large. I can't make a case for Arizona on the road. Remember what happened in Eugene, two weeks ago? Four trips to the red zone and zero points. I do think that the Wildcats, excuse me the Mildcats, will manage to score a few points on the Cardinal; nevertheless, Stanford will prevail here, 31-13.

 
 
 

Michigan (8) @ Purdue - Michigan has had two weeks to get over their loss to Notre Dame. The only team that Purdue has played, other than cupcakes, is Notre Dame, which they lost. So why eight on Michigan? Go figure. All Purdue has to do is stop Denard Robinson. If that happens, it will be a long day for Brady Hoke's boys. I do believe that Michigan will be ready for this game with the Boilermakers, say 30-24.

 
 

West Virginia @ Texas (7) - 70- 63, need I say more? Yes I will. Call me old school, but I don't give a crap for that type of a game. I thought that basketball season was more than a month from tipping off. Turns out, it got a jump start in Morgantown, last weekend. Now, for all of you that think that West Virginia will have that kind of success against Texas, better think again. Look for the Longhorns to stampede the Mountaineers, 41-30.




Nebraska @ Ohio State (6) - Until Taylor Martinez (Neb's QB) wins a meaningful road game, I'll take the home squad. Yes, I know that they won in Happy Valley, last year; which occurred on the Saturday after Joe Paterno had been fired, so that one doesn't count in my book. I will say this about Ohio State, if Urban Meyer continues to use Braxton Miller as much as he has over this past month, the odds of Miller making it through the season without injury are long indeed. Needless to say, in the short term, I'll take the Buckeyes to out last the Cornhuskers, 23-20.

 
 

Georgia @ South Carolina (5) - Even with Rambo and Ogletree back in the Dawgs line up, that defense looked very porous against Tennessee, a very average Tennessee team, I might add. South Carolina isn't your average Bear, check that, your average Rooster. Remember the cartoon where Foghorn Leghorn gets the short end of the stick by a dog; look for that trend to be reversed, come Saturday. Plus, if it comes down to coaching, Spurrier will run circles around Richt. With that situation and the fact that the game is in Columbia, look for the Chickens to spur the Puppies in a close one, 30-27.




LSU @ Florida (4) - All of the "talking heads" are on Florida, so you better take LSU. I can't, not after the way LSU played at Auburn and then at home against Towson State. Now, the LSU QB has shaved his wannabe mustache, thinking that that might be the problem. Also, how many "lives" does Les Miles actually have left. I think that he has used them all up; and, I think that the Gators will expose these Tigers for the fraud that they are. The Gators take a chomp out of the Tigers in the Swamp, 21-17.

 
 

Oklahoma @ Texas Tech (3) - Texas Tech has never beaten Oklahoma in back to back seasons. They have however, beaten Oklahoma the last three times that the game has been in Lubbock. That's good enough for me. Look for the Red Raiders of the Lost Ark to spin another wheel off of the Sooner Bandwagon, 37-31.

 
 

Northwestern @ Penn State (2) - Crap, another week, and another week with Penn State on the menu. I'm still holding out hope that we will have one week this season where there is no Penn State or Notre Dame on the menu. In the words of Aerosmith, "dream on." As for the game, I think that it will be a tall order for Northwestern to beat Penn State; however, I still don't care. Lions over Cats, 27-24.




Arkansas (1) @ Auburn - Ah, the battle of the cellar for the west division of the SEC. I see where John L. Smith has increased his debt from 25.7 million to 40.7 million. Are you kidding me? In less than one month's time, Smith has managed to add 15 million dollars to his bankruptcy. Now, we know two things about ole John L.; one, he can't coach, and two, he manages his money like he leads his team. So, why Arkansas? Eventually, Arkansas is going to win a game, and Auburn doesn't have a quarterback that is worth a crap. Plus, the game is an early start, and Auburn hasn't faired well the last couple of years with these early games. I'm counting on Tyler Wilson to have a "Tyler Wilson" type of game; Razorbacks over the Tigers, 33-27.

 
 

Well, that puts the wraps on another week of selections. Tread very carefully, this week has the potential to be a scary one. Best of luck to all of you with your selections. Have a great and safe weekend and enjoy the games. Roll Tide.


Jljmbaker

No comments:

Post a Comment