Friday, December 6, 2013

I'm like Douglas MacArthur with my week 15 selections

In the words of Douglas MacArthur:  "I shall return;" the Tide shall and will return and challenge for the NC, come next season.  Like some other dipstick always says on this message board; "Book it."  In all my years of watching football, I've never seen a game end like the Alabama/Auburn game.  There have been some great finishes in that rivalry by each team, over the years.  Up until last week's ending, the kick by Van Tiffin to end the game in 1985, had stood as the best ending in this series.  Yes, I know ESPN had their so-called list of top 10 Alabama/Auburn games and that one was not at the top; but, then again, that's why they are ES(Know-it-All)PN.  They can take any series and completely screw it up, because they don't know the history.  They speculate at it; just like they put some of these asinine games on this pick'em list.  More on that, later.




Time is short, so I'll get to the jokes as quick as I can.  Last week, I was 6-4, with 43 points.  For the season, the record stands at 97-43, good for 570 points and 96.3%.  Since I'm doing this on my lunch hour, time is of the essence.  Also, if I get something wrong (other than three or five of my selections), please forgive me.  Time to see what's behind door number one.




Florida State (10) vs Duke @ Charlotte - Now that Jameis Winston is cleared of criminal charges, the Noles can move on to greener pastures.  By greener pastures, we are talking of the Seminoles putting the Blue Devils on their backside, creating green grass stains on their uniforms.  Florida State over Duke, 44-20.




UCF (9) @ SMU - I read somewhere that a sportswriter stated that June Jones' seat was getting hot.  Really?  If SMU has any sense left in that University, they will extend his contract.  This season isn't his best work; nevertheless, we are talking SMU here.  Since coming off the death penalty, they probably have about three to five winning seasons (I'm not looking it up).  The only let down that I can see here is UCF might be a little complacent since they have locked up a BCS bowl game.  Nah, that ain't happening.  The Knights over the Shetland Ponies, 35-24.




Texas @ Baylor (8) - What was Gary Patterson crying about after last week's loss to the Bears?  I caught a glimpse of him having some choice words for Art Briles; but, I don't know what for.  Any who, Texas comes into Wacko, excuse me, Waco, trying to salvage their season.  Good luck with that, Mack.  I see where Petty has decided to come back for another season.  Smart move on his part.  As for the game, this could be a career ender for ole Mack.  The Bears should dispose of the cow pies that the Longhorns create.  Baylor over Texas, 38-31.




South Florida @ Rutgers (7) - I can't think of much to add to this drama love-feast of a game.  I'll guarantee this; it's going to be cold in Jersey.  How cold will it be, you asked.  So cold that they have canceled the running of the Bulls; wait a minute, that's in Spain and not in Jersey.  Nevertheless, look for the Bulls to be "Silent Running" (great song by Mike & the Mechanics), because of the cold.  The Scarlet Knights over the Tampa express, 35-21.




Utah State @ Fresno State (6) - I haven't seen any of Utah State, this season.  The only time that I have seen Fresno State was against San Jose State, which they lost.  Fresno State has no defense; but, they can score a truck load of points.  Since the game is being played in Fresno, I'll give the nod to the Bull dogs over the Aggies, 38-35.




Missouri (5) vs Auburn @ Atlanta - Nearly everyone around this part of the world wants to see a re-match of Auburn and Alabama.  Even the AD for Auburn said yesterday, "Bring on the Tide," we will play them anywhere, anytime; no matter if it's New Orleans, Pasadena, or, even Russia."  Be careful what you wish for Jay Jacobs; just ask Les Miles.  As for this game, it's Tiger against Tiger.  If Missouri hadn't gone to sleep in the fourth quarter of their game against South Carolina, a win here would have put them in the Big Game.  Now, they need some help.  They can start by putting Auburn down for the count.  There will be no miracle in the ATL; Missouri over Auburn, 31-23.




Stanford @ Arizona State (4) - The only two losses for ASU, came at the hands of Stanford, and Notre Dame.  Stanford beat Notre Dame.  So why pick the Sun Devils?  Because I can, and I am, because they are at home; and, as an added bonus, Stanford hasn't been doing so well of late, on the road (See USC).  Now that I've said that, watch the Cardinal come out and play like a beast.  Oh well, I'll take my licking and keep on ticking.  Taking the Sun Devils to burn down some Trees, 35-31.




Ohio State vs Michigan State (3) @ Indianapolis - Now, IF this does occur; and, that's a big IF; and for grins and giggles, let's say that Missouri beats Auburn and FSU wins over Duck; which one loss team will make it to the championship game?  My guess will be that Missouri will be the team that makes it, if this shakes out this way.  Stay tuned.  As for this contest, the Spartans WILL stop Braxton, or at least contain him.  Once he gets frustrated, Braxton will try to force the issue.  That's when Michigan State's corners will pick him apart.  Sparty over the Buckeyes, 23-21.




Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State (2) - Stoops has screwed me on four occasions this season.  Might as well make it five.  This game can go either way, just like the Alabama/Auburn game.  I'll pick the Pokes seeing as the game is being played in Stillwater.  Since their win against Kansas State, Oklahoma State has reeled off six straight wins by double digits.  I'm thinking that streak might be in jeopardy against the Sooners; however, they will still win the game.  Pokes over the Sooners, 37-33.




Memphis @ Connecticut (1) - This goes down as the "Who Cares" game of the season.  Heck, the game isn't even on TV; and, even if it was, who would watch it.  With this selection, the picking committee at ESPN, goes out with a blast.  Give me the UConn over Memphis for one point, and by one point, 28-27.




Well, that puts the wraps on this season.  For those of you that have been following this mess over the years, you know that I don't do any write ups for the bowl games.  There are just too many of them.  Also, I would like to express my thanks to all of you that have read and continue to read this nonsense.  You know the drill, I have at least three screw ups, maybe more, so tread at your own risk.  For those that say my beloved Tide screwed the pooch with our loss to Auburn, I'll say to you, at least we have been in the Championship conversation for the past six years, while winning three of them.  The sun don't shine on the same dog's butt all of the time, even the likes of Auburn finds a ray of light, once in a while.  Until we meet again. stay safe.  Happy Holidays to everyone and enjoy all of the games.  Roll Tide.

Jljmbaker

No comments:

Post a Comment