Friday, November 22, 2013

I'm going into "overtime" mode with my week 13 selections

By "overtime mode," I have been swamped at work, and I haven't had time to come up with anything extra, so it's on to the picks.  Last week I was 6-4 (thanks Stanford), with 34 points.  For the year, the total stands at 85-35, with 492 points, good for 96.9%.  So without further delay (because I'm doing this on my lunch hour), on to the selections.




Michigan State (10) @ Northwestern - If ever there was a category for hard luck story of the year award, Northwestern would win it hands down.  They started off 4-0, and have gone 0-6, since; losing a couple of heart breakers in a row.  As for Michigan State, they are on the opposite side of the tracks, which is why I'm putting them at the top for this week.  The Spartans should (and I emphasize the word should) take care of business and top the hapless wildcats, in their quest for the B1G championship.  Sparty over Northwestern, 33-19.




Wisconsin (9) @ Minnesota - I've heard that some of the noobs at ESPN like to put the Badgers on upset alert.  Look, Minnesota is a "feel' good story because of what their head coach has gone through with his health issues; nevertheless, "feel good" isn't going to equate to enough points to put any fear into the Badgers.  Look for the furry rodents from Madison to chase down and skin the Gophers from Minneyhaha, 31-17.




Washington @ Oregon State (8) - With the status of Washington's quarterback still undecided, I have decided to go with the Beavers, and here's why.  First, the Huskies haven't won a Pac-12 road contest, this season.  Second, Steve Sarkisian has been running his yapper about something he should have kept private; therefore, he has been reprimanded by the Pac-12 for making comments about the officials, public.  On the other hand, Oregon State has lost three in a row.  The bleeding will stop for one of these teams, so I'll take the home team here.  Beavers over the Huskies, 35-31.



  
Vanderbilt (7) @ Tennessee - Vandy hasn't won back to back games against Tennessee since before the Great Depression.  Tennessee hasn't won a game since they upset South Carolina.  Plus, I don't know if the Vols first string quarterback is healthy; and I really don't care; and, I don't have the time to look it up.  So, I'll take the Commodores to screw up Tennessee's season, 27-24.




Arizona State @ UCLA (6) - In his two seasons with UCLA, Jim Mora Jr., hasn't lost to a Pac-12, South Division team.  I know that Arizona State is on a roll; however, as we all know, all good things  must come to an end.  For the Sun Devils, the end will occur in Pasadena, if UCLA's quarterback doesn't try to force passes into double coverage.  That's the only thing that I fear with Brett Hundley; he tries to force the issue when he should just take the damn sack and move on.  Hopefully, Mora Jr., has pounded that train of thought into Hundley's mind.  Regardless, give me the Bruins for a six pack over the Sun Devils, 34-28.




Baylor @ Oklahoma State (5) - The last time that Baylor won in Stillwater, Papa was a Rolling Stone.  That's right, my papa was rolling around, stumbling around, and whatever else a two year old gets into.  The year was 1939.  Heck, my mother wasn't even born yet.  She arrived on the scene in 1940.  So why am I taking a stroll back in time?  I feel like history has an affect on certain situations; like Baylor winning in Stillwater.  Plus, the spotlight is turned up to super bright, for this contest; and I feel like that Baylor will show what I have believed to be true all season, they haven't played a significant opponent, yet.  And no, I do not count Oklahoma as a significant opponent.  Stoops took a dump with his play calling, in that game.  Look for the Pokes to put the Bears into early hibernation, 45-41.




Missouri @ Ole Miss (4) - The Rebels have lost three games this season to the top three in the SEC West; Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M.  The only game that they were not in was against Alabama.  As a bonus, the Rebels are pretty much healthy, team wise.  I realize that Missouri has had a great season; but, that loss against South Carolina is still fresh in my mind, as well as the mind of the Tigers.  Should be a great game, and the Grove will be one huge party after Rebel Yell takes down the cats, 30-27.




Texas A&M @ LSU (3) - Under Kevin Sumlin, the Aggies have not lost a road game; but, that's about to change.  They haven't played in the Rouge; but, come Saturday, that will change.  Okay, neither team can stop a cold; however, LSU might have a small edge when it comes to ball control and special teams; therefore, I'll take the Tigers to right the ship over the Aggies, 35-28.




Oklahoma @ Kansas State (2) - I'm taking the home team here because the weather is going to be horrible, in Manhattan on Saturday.  It's supposed to be windy and down right cold, which doesn't bode well for the pass happy Sooners.  The teacher (Bill Snyder) wins a close one over the student (Bob Stoops).  The Wildcats in an upset over Oklahoma, 28-24.




Duke (1) @ Wake Forest - And now, for the "Who Cares" game of the week, welcome to Duke/Wake Forest.  My other two games that I considered for this spot were Vandy/Tennessee and, Michigan State/Northwestern; however, I needed the points, especially in that Michigan State/Northwestern match up.  So, I'll take the Blue Devils for one point; but, to win by more than one point, 37-24.




This slate of games was pretty crappy, even by ESPN standards.  The one week I was looking forward to picking the Mormons over the Catholics (or the Morons over the Convicts, whatever floats your boat), ESPN doesn't put it on the sheet.  Go figure.  As usual, I'm hovering just above the 70% line, which means I have at least three losers that I have picked; maybe more, so tread at your own risk.  Once again, I'm sorry that I didn't have the time to add anything extra to the beginning of this diatribe.  I'll try to do better next week.  Meanwhile, everyone have a great and safe weekend and, enjoy the games.  Roll Tide.

Jljmbaker

No comments:

Post a Comment