Friday, November 8, 2013

I'm playing the hand I'm dealt with in this week 11 selections

By playing the hand the way it was dealt, I'm talking picking winners and to heck with these silly confidence points.  More on that later.  Right now, I see where Carl Pelini is trying to pull a Bill Clinton on us, telling everyone that not only did he not inhale, he didn't use any illegal drugs, as well.  Here's the funny part; on one side of the street, you have Carl Pelini spewing that he would take a drug test to prove his innocence; yet when the AD told Carl that the test would occur right at that moment, Pelini refused.  Any wonder as to why.  Pelini's excuse was that he wanted to retain legal counsel before proceeding; to which I'm calling hog wash.  I'm thinking that Pelini thought that he could hold off his firing by stating that he would take a drug test, figuring that the test would occur in a couple of days and ole Carl would take some sort of crap to flush out his system, on the hopes that the illegal stuff would up and vanish like a fart in the wind.  Again, nice try Carl; nevertheless, I'm not buying it, especially when there are two people who signed documents stating that you did.  Anyway, Carl has officially rescinded his resignation, and wants his job back.  Good luck with that situation, Mr. Pelini.



 
Speaking of Florida Atlantic, I see where it hit the news that Luke Fickell (DC for Ohio State) was interviewed for their job opening.  When some reporter asked Urban Meyer about that situation, his response was as follows:  “He did not interview,” Meyer said after practice Wednesday evening, "he better not have."  Meyer said he had not been contacted by Florida Atlantic about interviewing any of his assistants and says there is no interviewing for assistants during the regular season.  Now, I ask this question:  Who in the hell does Urban Meyer think that he is?  Who died and left him the king of the castle?  It's okay if Urban interviews for another job during the regular season (While at Utah, interviewing for the Florida job); however, God forbid that one of his assistants looks for another job while the regular season plays out.  Just one more reason you can add to the hate list of Urban Meyer. 
 



Marching on.  I see where Mr. Ed (not the horse), the current coach at USC wants to become the permanent coach.  Good luck with that, Mr. Ed.  I think that Pat Hayden has someone else in mind, and not you.  Word has it that Kevin Sumlin might be pretty high on Hayden's list.  Now, I'll be the first to admit that I thought that A&M had lost their mind when they hired Sumlin away from Houston.  Boy, was I wrong.  He has proven that he can run with the big boys, and out run most of them.  I think that it would be a pretty good hire for the Trojans.  We shall see.
 



Speaking of coaches, how about the job that Gus Malzhan is doing at Auburn.  I think that he is a lock for coach of the year.  Now that I have praised him, watch him lose to Tennessee, this weekend.  While we are on the subject of awards, you can go ahead and hand the Heisman trophy to Jameis Winston after that show (or the lack there of) that Marcus Mariota put on display against Stanford, last night.  Maybe there is a little truth to the old saying that the third time is the charm.  Right now, that's all that the Duck fans have going for them, now that Stanford has ruined their season for the second straight year.  Just further proves that DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.  On the other hand, I'm still having a hard time figuring out how Stanford managed to lose to Utah.  Oh well.



 
Last week, I managed to some how go 9-1, with 53 Lincolns.  That brings the season total to 72-28, with 417 points, good for 96.8%.  As for this week, I'm picking them like ESPN dealt them to me.  Going straight down the list from top to bottom and to heck with the confidence points.  Hope it works.



 
Fresno State (10) @ Wyoming - The only thing that can slow down the Bull dogs might be the altitude.  I think that it is around 7000 feet above sea level in Laramie.  I didn't look at the weather report, so I don't know if that might be a factor, as well.  As far as the rest of the jumble, I've seen maybe five minutes of Fresno State in action, and none of Wyoming.  Makes perfect sense to place 10 points of something I have no clue about; Dogs over the Cowboys, 41-24.



 
UCLA (9) @ Arizona - The winner of this match up is still in the picture for the Pac-12 South division, along with Arizona State.  UCLA managed to get back on the winning side of the equation after dropping two in a row.  Playing a low-life like Colorado, will usually yield a win, or at least it better.  As for Arizona, I'm not sold on Rich Rod, or his team; at least not this week.  Look for the Bruins to slam the Wildcats, 38-28.



 
LSU @ Alabama (8) - Go ahead and label me as a homer, because I am.  I see where Les Miles has had another freshman DB arrested for simple battery.  That makes two in two weeks, for the same offense.  Third time is the charm, Les.  Around the Capstone, life has been entertaining, as well.  Rumors are abundant with Saint Nick leaving for Texas.  You and I know Nick's track record when it comes to telling the truth; just ask any Miami Dolphin fan.  So when I hear him say that he isn't going anywhere, anytime soon; I'm taking it with a grain of salt.  Plus, he has already exceeded my expectations; he's been here for seven years at Alabama.  That's two more years than he has stayed anywhere else.  As for the game, if the Tide shows up on defense, it will be a long night for the Tigers.  I'm betting that it will, Alabama over LSU, 27-16.



 
Notre Dame (7) @ Pittsburgh - Ouch.  Right about now, I'm not too warm to this playing it like it is dealt situation, considering my love (cough, cough) for the Irish.  Plus, the Irish had to hang on for dear life against Navy, last week.  Let's face it, Notre Dame is looking more like Notre Dump, this season.  I'm just hoping that they lose at least one more time, this season, because they damn sure don't deserve to be in any BCS bowl.  I just don't think Pittsburgh is the answer to my prayer for the Irish to lose.  Notre Shame over the Panthers, 31-24.



 
Virginia Tech @ Miami (6) - If Logan Thomas is still the quarterback for Virginia Tech, there is no way in hell that I will pick the Gobblers, against anybody.  What a joke of a QB.  I believe he was responsible for four turnovers (including the fumble on the final drive) against Boston College, last week.  He would have a better shot at playing dead, than being an actual player.  As for Miami, this would be the perfect spot to go against them after that beat down at the hands of FSU and the loss of their running back; however, I can rest easy just knowing that Logan Thomas will manage to gift wrap the game and hand deliver the win to the Hurricanes.  Miami over Tech, 27-20.



 
Texas (5) @ West Virginia - Wonder what Mack Brown is thinking about?  With all of the garbage that came out of Austin, this week, I bet the game against WVU is right on par with Mack hanging around, after the season is over; at least in Mack's mind of thoughts.  Texas is still at the top of the conference with Baylor, so the horns can't afford a loss to the mountain men.  On the other hand, Texas has been on the Pick'em slate four times, and guess what; I'm 0-4 whether I pick them, or against them.  I'm hoping that the fifth time will be the charm, otherwise, I will probably be drinking a fifth of something.  Texas over West Virginia, 37-31.



 
Arizona State (4) @ Utah - For the moment, the Sun Devils are leading the Pac-12 South Division.  Clearly, they are the better team in this match up.  Like Fresno State, the only issue I have here with Arizona Sate is the altitude.  It's not as high as Wyoming's; nevertheless, 4300 feet does make a difference, especially when your team thrives close to sea level.  What the heck, Sun Devils fork the Utes, 38-27.



 
Nebraska (3) @ Michigan - Bo Diddly brings his Husker wagon to Ann Arbor.  I wonder if the Big House will be a packed house.  Probably not; because wolverine fan43 has jumped off the ship; and some of his other brethren have, as well.  Let's face it, when your team has last second wins over the likes of Akron and UConn, your confidence level could be at an all time low.  To hear some of these Wolverine fans, you would think that Rich Rod is still running the show.  Meanwhile, Nebraska doesn't have the fear factor that it possessed in the 90's.  So why am I on Nebraska?  I have no answer; but Nebraska does have one "Hail Mary" to their credit.  They might just find another.  Cornhuskers over Michigan, 28-24.



 
BYU @ Wisconsin (2) - Both teams are 6-2; however, they are not mirror images of each other.  Wisconsin has played a tougher schedule, and right now, the Badgers are hitting their stride.  Plus, the game is in Madison, a tough place to win a game if you are the visitor.  Look for BYU to make it interesting, until the fourth quarter; that's when Bucky the Badger will take a chomp out of the Cougars back side, 27-21.



 
Kansas State @ Texas Tech (1) - I have to give ESPN credit, this game belongs at the bottom of the list, making it eligible for my "Who Cares" game of the week.  By now, you know the drill.  I'm taking Tech for one point and by one point, 35-34.



 
Well, time to stick a fork in this mess and call it a day.  With my new approach, you better tread at your own risk.  On the other hand, if you are on the winning side, it doesn't matter what point you put on them.  But, as history has a way of reminding me, I have at least three losers on that list of games, so be careful.  Until next week, have a great and safe weekend.  Enjoy the games and Roll Tide.
 
Jljmbaker
 

No comments:

Post a Comment